Seriously, there is something wrong with the Unifi setup at my office. While the line is currently working, it’s stability is in question. With a 37% packet loss to Google servers, there is definitely something going wrong here. I have made a report (1-1864549262) and this is the second time it is exhibiting the same unstable symptoms.
I’ve got even more ping results but they all reflect the same problem – about 40% packet loss. Even connecting to Google is a problem. And this is the Business package, where we are paying more for less service. I really do not understand why I always have these problems.
It took them a month to sort out my Streamyx problems previously too.